Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rock of Ages (80s Glee with bigger names)


I took my dad to see this as a treat for Father's Day, I thought I would hate it but the music was pretty good and that is all. I spent my early childhood years listening to every single song that was performed in this movie. I love to listen to classic 80s music even up to today, rock music was just so much fun to listen to from back then. Clearly this movie was targeted toward older audiences who were teens back in that decade. The cast was great, I recognized every single person in the film, even the 80s musicians who made cameos in it. If you have ever watched the TV show Glee, this is basically a 2-hour 80s version of that, famous people singing other peoples' classic songs.
The story is boring and over done, you know what is going to happen before it even happens. Girl moves to L.A. meets nice boy, share the same dream, love at first site, lovers montage, misunderstanding, break-up, and you all know the rest of the story. The acting was okay, except from the young lead actor and actress, but they performed the music numbers quite well, I was dancing inside my brain as they sang and dance to the songs they preformed. The two young lead characters are more boring than dry, hard, plain toast, I was more interested with what was going on with all the background or sub characters since they actually had PERSONALITIES! If you are a Catherine Zeta-Jones fan, you will be disappointed with her performance in this movie. She is not that bad, she does perform Pat Benator's hit song 'Hit me with your best shot' and she sings it very well, she just wasn't cast as a good character for her. She usually plays these really strong, sometimes evil, sexy, hot female characters, in this movie she plays a crazy woman who has a grudge against Stacee Jaxx and uses her political ties to ruin his career. That is not who she is, she is a strong, sexy woman who can also be dangerous when she needs to be, she makes crazy too crazy. I loved how funny Alec Baldwin and Russel Brand were in this and they made a great team, they just played off each other really well like real best friends. They even sing well together in the duet they share, not great singing voices, but they perform the song well. There is a scene where the two of them work too well together, but I won't spoil it for you, you'll have to see the movie if you want to know. Tom Cruise was okay, he sang very well in this film too. I thought he was just lip-syncing to some other person's voice, no he sang every song himself. I don't know what to think of his acting in this film, I question if he really was acting or was really drunk to get into his character, who is just weird beyond reason, which is good when you are playing a rock star. Definitly not a summer blockbuster! There are only two reasons to watch this movie in theaters: Alec Baldwin with Russel Brand and Tom Cruise as a weird A-hole. If you don't care about those actors then just buy the soundtrack on iTunes!

Next up...
Brave and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (I hope he is hunting Twilight vampires!)

1 comment:

  1. Clearly this is Glee. The characters are definitely high school students who partake in the activities set up by the glee club that include traveling abroad to preform for competitions.

    Oh wait, that's the plot of Glee, and this movie's plot is an entirely different matter. Oops.

    Maybe you should've watched Glee before trying to comment on it.

    ReplyDelete